What better way than to enjoy seasonal asparagus than in a nutrient rich, asparagus salad. Asparagus and eggs go together like bread and butter; here we’ll take a little time to create a deliciously oozing egg with a crispy coating, which will work perfectly.
Ingredients for Asparagus Salad with Cured Ham & Crispy Egg:
- Asparagus – 6 stalks
- Parmesan – Pinch
- Extra virgin olive oil – Glug
- Breadcrumbs – 50g
- Lemon Wedge
- Cured ham – 2 slices
- Hen’s eggs – 2
- Grapeseed oil – 500ml
- Flour – 50g
Method to make Asparagus Salad with Cured Ham & Crispy Egg:
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add one of the eggs. Simmer for 6 minutes, remove and plunge into cold water. When the egg has cooled completely, peel away the shell and pat dry.
- Lay out three plates or bowls to breadcrumb the egg; one with flour, one with beaten egg and one with a mixture of the breadcrumbs and finely grated parmesan. Cover the egg in the flour, then egg wash, then breadcrumbs shaking off any excess between coatings. Set aside.
- To finish the eggs, heat the oil in a deep pan, making sure that the oil does not come further than half way up the pan but will cover the egg. Heat the oil to 160C or until some breadcrumbs fizzle when added. Pop the eggs in to the oil until they take on a lovely golden colour. Remove on to kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
IF DEEP-FRYING IN THIS MANNER, ENSURE TO NEVER LEAVE THE OIL UNATTENDED AND TO ENSURE THAT IT COOLS SAFELY AND AWAY FROM OTHERS.
- Prepare the asparagus by snapping or cutting away the woody base. Lay the asparagus on a flat surface and peel into long, thin shavings with a vegetable peeler, popping the peelings into a bowl. Dress with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon.
- Arrange the salad on a plate, finish with torn pieces of ham and half of the crispy egg.